- Get like-for-like quotes if you can.
- Always check the work somebody has done before they go, and get them to explain what they have done.
- Mark everything out exactly where you want it in case you aren’t on-site when the work is done.
- If you are a site manager, invest in some skiing salopettes from a charity shop for the winter, they keep out draughts and prevent builders’ bum.
- Don’t put a roll of lead behind your car seat and put the brakes on hard.
There are lots more top tips in my book Mud & Marriage – A Housebuilding Adventure. Available to buy from this website or from Amazon.co.uk http://po.st/wJ1KZW